Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Easy Purim Cupcakes & Fondant Toppers

This year, my girls are dressing up as Minnie Mouse for Purim! I wanted to do something really cutesy and within a tight budget.

Buying cupcakes for $3 each is simply out of my budget. Besides, I am pretty good with my hands and Dunkin Heines always does my baking for me!
So I made 50 Devil’s Food and 50 Yellow Cupcakes (my personal favorite). I bought the in-store frosting, which comes with the decorator’s tips, that saves you a ton of time, energy and clean up!


I ordered plastic containers that hold only two standard size cupcakes each, to keep it nice and easy. A polka dot red and white ribbon to tie it all together!
The fondant: There are two ways to go about it, the first is buying white fondant and mixing dye into it to make it the right color. The second and easier option is to purchase your already made color. I was going with standard colors of black and red, so purchasing it was so much more convenient.

Fondant is super easy to use; it has similar qualities to play dough. So if you’ve been through kindergarten then you must already have received your diploma in play dough and you can move onto fondant.
I personally did not purchase any of the fondant tools, I kept it simple. When using a serrated knife, it makes it more difficult to cut properly and leaves ragged edges. Try to use the smallest non- serrated knife you have, and making shapes will be much easier. You can flatten the fondant with a rolling pin if you plan on using it to cover a large area.
 To make Mickey Mouse’s head, I simply rolled one large ball and two smaller ones connecting them with a drop of water.
Fondant is soft and easy to use. If the fondant begins to harden while you’re still using it, simply knead the fondant and it will it will make it soft again.

This has been a truly fun arts ‘n crafts Mishloach Manos experience!

To purchase supplies here in Lakewood for creative baking visit Tips & Toque, they carry an amazing selection!
I would love to see your creative Purim ideas!

Share your photos and tips!

Send pictures with or without your name to: laylusokol@yahoo.com

To creative Puriming!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment