Wednesday, February 13, 2013

A Kitchen Must Have!

I am really not sure how I ever lived without it; my beautiful Aroma Rice Maker ($35) has been a life-saver on more than several occasions. Not only do I use it for dinner almost every night, it helps me make my Shabbos in record time!

I will be honest, I have used to for things I am positive it was not created for. But hey, it saves me so much time and mess! I have used it for the regular like rice. Personal favorite is short grain brown rice, olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder - a simple side dish made so quickly and effortlessly.
My machine has settings for brown and white rice.
I’ve used it for steaming vegetables. You can use it to steam meats and poultry (but I keep mine parve).  I use it for pasta, omelets (adding cheese afterwards), and I have even made an amazing luckshen kugel in it - the machine does not indicate using it for these items, but I am going to test its limitations!

I have never been one to think in the box and this rice cooker allows me to throw a bunch of ‘stuff’ in and make dish after dish. I have to say that as of right now it is probably my #1 kitchen gadget.
The only mistake I have made, using it so far, was making a recipe with nuts in it.  Because it steams the food, you don’t want to put anything that needs to be toasted and not steamed, or it will get mushy!

Another essential tip: you must not use metal utensils to take food out from it, or you will scratch the protective coating right off!
Once you have your own rice maker, you will never remember how you lived without it. I use it for most my side dishes and bake my chicken, or beef in the oven.

This is one item every kitchen needs!
This is the one I currently have and love (you can go smaller, but if your planning on lots of company or a large family- this is the way to go!):
Aroma 12 Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer

No comments:

Post a Comment