Saturday, February 9, 2013

Drinking wine… keeping with tradition!


Friday nights, the lights are dim and the candles are lit, warmth and a feeling of calm fills my home. While the men are in shul, I cut up my standard salad my husband is particular too. I then browse though our wine selection to see which wine I am ‘feeling’ that evening.

Everything is different if my in-laws are spending the shabbos with is. If my mother-in-law is over than it is not the time to savor the wine, it’s  time to P-A-R-T-Y; we bust out Baron Hertzog’s Vouvray (about $13) contains only 12% of alcohol, is a nice tasting dessert wine, however what makes it truly wondrous is how it effects your mood, and how you perceive your in-laws....lol
Unfortunately, this wine is currently sold out in every wine store in Lakewood.

Smirnoff Ice achieves a similar more mild effect. There is actually a new kosher flavor on the market: Pineapple. It’s super light and has currently moved up into position as my favorite of their kosher flavors (contains a KSA Hashgacha).
I never have more fun with my Mother-in-law than when we are sharing some naughty high calorie/ high sugar cake or drinking ladies drinks- le Vouvray! Both tend to give us the giggles.

Friday night and holidays are the only times I drink and it is my tradition, so that cannot change!
If we are home alone, it calls for a dry red wine occasion. It lends a feeling of sophistication and maturity. And as dificult as it may be at times to accept we are grown-ups, we most certainly are.

We have two serious gadgets when it comes to wine.  The 1st is the Metrokane Rabbit Wine Tool Kit, Metallic Red, 4-Piece, opening wine bottles is a cinch! No screws, just a suck and release cork mechanism (NON-electric). You can then reuse your cork as well.
The second, and fundamental to a red wine, like a Malbec from Chile (which would be my most frequent pick), is our Rabbit Wine Aerating Pourer It is incredible! It breathes the wine as your pour, so even if you open it right before the meal, you can still savor each sip!  
My husband is an Irish Whisky guy; his staple:  Jameson. Once when we went out he ordered a really ‘special’ Jameson shot for $25! I don’t even spend that on a bottle of wine!  I have never developed a taste for beer or hard alcohol... So when it comes to expertise in that area, I wil have to consult my man.
I am very happy to stick with my ladies drinks and stick with tradition!
L’chaim- to tradition! May your Shabbos be complete with savory tastes and wonderful smells!

No comments:

Post a Comment