Tuesday, February 5, 2013

6 Braid Challah Experience x2


It was Friday, just a couple of hours before Shabbos when I scurried about and printed out my diagrams - of how to make a six plait braided challah. I began to braid with the utmost concentration, confident with my prospective success. I mean half a dozen women on facebook claim they do it every week, so why shouldn’t I be able to?! The first half was looking good and I was almost too confident that it was really going to happen, when I noticed something peculiar.
I was only braiding the left side of the challah. The right side had plaits hanging around- just chilling out.

My father-in-law was watching me with a look of amusement, as he is able to do a four braid challah, and kept trying to persaude me that maybe I should  start small, with a four braided challah.
But no, I had to make it six and nothing less. would do!

So dough was hanging from the right and the left was mostly braided, when I simply threw in the towel. I made some things up - like you do on a test when you don’t know the answers. When you begin writing really tiny or messy, based on the theory that If the teacher cannot read it, she’ll assume it is the correct answer.
Except in this case the picture does not lie.
I was left with a funny looking challah, which I baked proudly and served along the rest of my three braided challahs!
To be honest, it may not have looked pretty, but it sure tasted wonderful as always!
I will not give up on this quest, I am more determined than eve; If I have to I will find someone to give me a real life demonstration, and sometime in the future my children will brag how their mother ‘always’ made challah that way!

2 comments:

  1. Challah 6 braid 2nd from right over all going left, right over two. 2nd from left over all going right, left over two...... follow these two steps and you are good.
    instructions in the simple...just keep repeating

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challah 6 braid 2nd from right over all going left, right over two. 2nd from left over all going right, left over two...... follow these two steps and you are good.
    instructions in the simple...just keep repeating

    ReplyDelete